Life can be full of uncertainties. Unfortunately, sometimes they can involve the wrongful death of loved ones. When pursuing justice in these types of cases, it is important to find a lawyer who understands the various types of wrongful death actions in Louisiana.
The loss of a loved one is hard enough without the extra burden of navigating the legal system. The team at Murphy Law Firm will be by your side in your time of need. You can leave your legal worries with us. Our team has been handling cases such as these for many years and have recovered millions of dollars for the families of wrongful death victims. Trust the experienced team at the Murphy Law Firm in your pursuit of justice.
Types Of Wrongful Death Actions
When it comes to cases that are related to wrongful death in Louisiana, there are two types of fileable actions:
- The Survival Action – If a victim of an accident is injured and later dies due to the offense, the descendant(s) of the victim have a period of one year to recover all damages for the injury to that person.
- The Wrongful Death Action – Is a suit that can be brought on by various family members of the victim when the deceased dies in an accident.
Understanding the various rights and caveats related to these types of cases is something the lawyers at Murphy Law Firm specialize in. It’s important to understand everything—from what damages that can be recovered to the time limits for filing a suit. Consult with one of our team members today in order to understand your rights before pursuing these types of cases.
What Else You Need To Know With Wrongful Death Cases
It is also important when handling wrongful death cases to keep the following items in mind:
- Who Can File – In the pursuit of damages related to the wrongful death of a person, the surviving spouse or children of the deceased are given the initial right to file. This is then followed by the surviving parents and subsequent siblings.
- Available Damages – Various forms of compensation in the event of an action can be recovered. These can include funeral and burial expenses, lost value of household services, as well as damages related to the loss of love, care, support, and guidance.
- Time Limits for Filing A Claim – Unlike most states, Louisiana has a limited filing window. Family members have one year from the date of the passing of their loved one for filing a wrongful death claim.
Keeping these particular things in mind when speaking to one of our lawyers can help the process move along more quickly and result in an expedited recovery of damages for you and your family.
Contact Murphy Law Firm For A Free Consultation
The ins and outs of various wrongful death cases occurring in Baton Rouge are meant to be handled by experts in Louisiana law. At the Murphy Law Firm, we offer free consultations to assess the parameters of your case. For added peace of mind, our consultations remain confidential and come with no additional obligation to hire our firm.
If a wrongful death occurs in your family contact the Murphy Law Firm before you do anything else. You can contact our team by calling (225) 928-8800 or filling out a form for a free and confidential consultation. Our office is located on S Acadian Thruway and we are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM until 5:30 PM. Don’t wait, call us today.